Tuesday 15 January 2013

Short Story: End of The World


It was a cold and chilling night. My mobile showed 1’o clock. I was continually seeing the moon from the window of my hostel with textbooks in one hand; just like most of the engineering students do and thinking about my breakup which happened last morning. I told her to go away from my life and sworn to never meet her again even if she is the last girl alive on earth. I avowed that I will study seriously and will become a scientist. No parties, no movies, only hard work, to fulfill dreams of my parents. I never had been this serious about life, tonight was something different. I started reading my nuclear science book and within a few minutes I dozed off. It still works effectively as a good sedative. Better than any sleeping pill.
I was just sleeping then I heard an ear deafening  noise. It sounded like a heavy blast. Before I could get back to my senses I felt as if someone slapped me with a great power, and hammered my toes, it felt like being thrown from a roller coaster. I fainted and collapsed in no time.
When I opened my eyes, I was beneath my study table while everything in my room was shattered. I became numb after seeing it all. I shouted my room partner’s name… “Rohan!!” but no reply came. I saw a poster of Lord Jesus and thought maybe lord would save my life, but nothing happened. I lay there, bearing the immense pain for a few hours, then somehow made my way out from the room. 
When I came out, what I saw wrenched my heart. Dead bodies, hundreds, thousands of dead bodies, scattered everywhere. All buildings were either demolished or about to collapse. I started running here and there, in hope of seeing a sign of life. But found none. It was mid of the winter but I was sweating heavily. The weather was warmer than usual. I thought it may be because of burning trees and buildings, but the air was really suffocating that I was struggling to breath.
After a while I realized it was useless to run around, so I decided to rest for a while and sat besides a car. When I calmed my mind a bit, I started analyzing what it could be. And analyzed that it's not just an earthquake  or tsunami; it's something bigger, bigger than anything that I could imagine. I started thinking about the time when  was listening to 9’o news on radio, where they  told about US’ secret plans to execute a nuclear-attack on Iran, while Iran also planning the same on US! And how the rest of the world is forced to take a side, making it a World War III.
Then I realized it was a nuclear-attack and it’s bigger than Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I felt a pain in my heart,  feeling the burden of the situation I started shouting desperately, deludedly running randomly , and searching for human presence. After searching for a long hour, I realized its of no use, and felt a twitch in my stomach. I was hungry and thirsty too, but no water was left. No water taps had water due to helium and other harmful gases that came from nuclear attack. Now I had nothing but my own urine and blood of many dead bodies to drink, and their flesh to eat.
I was in a terribly miserable situation. . No electronic equipments were working, no water, no food, Nothing. I cried, shouted, did everything, but I knew nothing was going to work at all ...I am the Last man on Earth. It was the moment when I decided to move out, and look for human presence at other places. I have to recreate this world. I felt like I’m Adam of the mythical stories and now I have to find my Eve. When I thought of Eve, I thought of my girlfriend. How amazing she was. Sweet, caring and honest. When I told her to stay away, and never meet her again even if she is the last girl of the earth, I never meant it. Now I so wished her to really be the last girl of the earth, be my Eve. But I knew it's just a wish. Now I had no option other than finishing up my life. To suicide. I thought of jumping into the river, but no river had water anymore, then I decided to jump off a high cliff.
After walking for many days without a break, I found one. After a lot of struggle I somehow climbed on it and looked down. It was high. Higher than I thought. Enough to break me into pieces. I closed my eyes and said my final words…
Dear God,
If you recreate this world, please make humans without brains. Give them a good heart only. What their brain did to this world would never be retaliated. They don’t have the power to think beyond the petty issues. A good heart will bring harmony and peace.
And then… I jumped, defying the law of survival, ended up my life. When I fell on the ground, I felt it cold, like a floor of my room. And heard the giggles of Rohan. And felt a kick on my back. He was there!
I asked him how he survived. He replied “Abey Chad gayi hai kya!!! You were speaking nonsense since last night, and fell off the bed shouting.. GOD I AM COMING!!! ”
Oh! It was just a dream. I thanked god. And called up my girlfriend to say sorry and start afresh.

  

No comments: